April is the Month of the Military Child and is the perfect time to celebrate our MilKids for rolling with the punches that military life brings. To celebrate, spend the day with your kids, focused on activities that show how great military life is â€“ including learning to overcome the challenges that come with deployments and PCS.
- Purple up! Join others in wearing purple on Thursday, April 26, 2018, to celebrate military kids. Schools and businesses across the nation will wear purple to show support and appreciation for MilKidsâ€™ strength and sacrifices.
- Explore your base. Go to MilitaryINSTALLATIONS to find the locations and hours for the facilities your base offers. Together, discover and enjoy what you have earned by serving: parks, bowling, pool, gym, library, exchange, sports fields, MWR and more.
- Plan a trip. Visit your base Information, Tickets and Tours office to see what events are happening and what discounts they can offer. Let the kids help choose what to do and make the plans with your guidance.
- Watch TV. Sharing your kidsâ€™ favorite shows together can give you more to talk about. For preschoolers, Sesame Street for Military Families offers shows and downloadable activities by military life topic.
- Surf the web. Show your kids, tweens or teens Military Kids Connect where you can watch videos, play games and learn more about military life. You might learn something more about each other, too.
- Follow your USO. Find your local USO center on the map and then call them or follow them on their social media pages to discover what free or discounted events they offer.
- Treat your MilKid. Give your child a budget for the day and let them decide where to go and what to spend money on. Use this opportunity to share and compare movie, toy and food prices on and off base so they can see how far they can stretch their money.
- Gift them education. Teens stress a lot about applying to college and for scholarships. Take a day and help them find military scholarship opportunities and help them apply.
- Hit a homerun. Make active memories with your MilKids on base. Bring your sports gear and see how many sports you can play in a day. Between the laughs, bloopers and exertion, youâ€™ll have inside jokes to enjoy for years.